Deutsch
English
schwarz-weiss Version
Farb-Version
A A A
Download Our Smartphone-App

Smartphone-App

Chronology from 'Brown House' to Documentation Centre for the History of National Socialism

1 May 2015
The Documentation Centre for the History of National Socialism opens

30 April 2015
Official opening ceremony

Spring 2014
Completion of the building and start of creation of a permanent exhibition.

2012
Benjamin and Emanuel Heisenberg win the 'Kunst am Bau' competition with a media art object.

The city council unanimously elects Prof. Dr.-Ing. Winfried Nerdinger founding director.

On 9 March the Mayor of Munich Christian Ude, the Bavarian State Minister of Education and Cultural Affairs Dr. Ludwig Spaenle and the State Minister of Culture and Media Bernd Neumann lay the cornerstone of the new building in Brienner Straße.

The cultural committee of the city of Munich unanimously approves the exhibition concept of the working group of Professor Dr. Hans Günter Hockerts, Professor Dr. Marita Krauss, Professor Dr. Peter Longerich and Professor Dr.-Ing. Winfried Nerdinger, which forms the basis of the exhibition script for the permanent exhibition.

2011
The state capital and PD Dr. Irmtrud Wojak part company by mutual consent.

Start of construction work.

2009
The city
appoints private lecturer Dr. Irmtrud Wojak founding director of the Munich Documentation Centre for the History of National Socialism.

The Berlin architects office Georg Scheel Wetzel wins first prize in the competition for the reailisation of the building in Brienner Straße.

 

2008
The federal government agrees to take over a third of the project costs of the future Documentation Centre for the History of National Socialism. The financing of construction is thus assured.

2006
First agreement on financing. The Free State declares it is prepared to make the property on which the 'Brown House' stood until 1947, available free of charge and to take over one third of project costs.

2003
The city council approves sponsorship by the city and is willing to take over the running costs of the Documentation Centre for the History of National Socialism, if the Free State and the federal government will contribute towards construction costs.

2001/02
The Munich City Council adopts the resolution: A Documentation Centre for the History of National Socialism is to be built in the vicinity of Königsplatz.

1990
The Free State wants to expand the School of Music and Theatre and museum buildings. In an architecture competition an urban development solution is also to be found for the 'Tempels of Honour'. The designs by architects lead to fierce controversies. None of them is implemented.

1988
Königsplatz is greened over again. The Nazi regime had used the ensemble created under Ludwig I for parades and laid granite slabs on the square.

1985
The "
Platz der Opfer des Nationalsozialismus", square commemorating the victims of National Socialism is redesigned. A new monument is erected. The memorial stone from 1965 is relocated to the Platz der Freiheit in Neuhausen.

1984
At the new Landesbank head office on the site of the former Gestapo headquarters a commemorative plaque, commemorating the history of the site, is installed at the initiative of Munich citizens.

1974
Sale of the entire grounds of the former Wittelsbacher Palais to the Bayerische Landesbank. The city now decides to build its cultural centre in Haidhausen.

1965
The first monument is erected on the "
Platz der Opfer des Nationalsozialismus", square commemorating the victims of National Socialism.

1961
The city buys a part of the area on which the former Wittelsbacher Palais stood. It wants to build a cultural centre. This was proposed by city councillors who were imprisoned in the prison wing of Gestapo Headquarters. The rest of the property still belongs to the Free State, which wishes to build a memorial site.

1956
The foundations of the 'Tempels of Honour' are greened over on the occasion of the 800 anniversary celebrations of the city of Munich in 1958. Until then they were hidden behind wooden fences. Plans for a superstructure had previously failed.

1950
The Wittelsbacher Palais is demolished. The building, which was used as Munich Gestapo Headquarters, was damaged in an air raid.

 

1947
Demolition of the 'Tempels of Honour' in Brienner Straße. Here the National Socialists had set up the coffins of the so-called 'martyrs of the movement'. For technical reasons (heating pipes running through) the foundations were preserved.

1946
The "
Platz der Opfer des Nationalsozialismus", a square commemorating the victims of National Socialism, is created at the roundabout between Brienner Straße and Maximiliansplatz. There was insufficient support for the suggestion of former politically persecuted to rename Königsplatz in 'Platz der Opfer des Nationalsozialismus'.

 

1945
Immediately after the end of the war there are first deliberations of building a remembrance site for the victims of the Nazi regime at Königsplatz. The National Socialists had used the square at the heart of the former Party quarter for parades and propaganda purposes.

 

 

See also

Become a sponsor

Support our work with a donation to the Friends

Become a sponsor

Support our work with a donation to the Friends

Remembrance
on Nazi forced labor

The former forced labor camp at the Ehrenbürgstraße in Neuaubing

Munich and National Socialism

Our catalogue of the permanent exhibition