Deutsch
English
schwarz-weiss Version
Farb-Version
A A A
Download Our Smartphone-App

Smartphone-App

The NSDAP Party quarter

Assistants in the 'Administrative building of the NSDAP', March 1937 (Photo: Bayerische Staatsbibliothek/ Bildarchiv)

In the course of the thirties Party headquarters with numerous central authorities and subsidiary offices developed in the vicinity of the 'Brown House'. The NSDAP acquired more and more properties in the area between Karlstraße and Gabelsbergerstraße, partly exerting massive pressure on the owners. The extensive administrative centre consisted of up to 68 buildings. Some of the buildings were connected underground and had their own technical infrastructure. Until April 1945 some  6,000 people worked for the Party here.

Whereas political power focused in Berlin, Munich as the place of origin of the NSDAP remained the centre of Party bureaucracy throughout the Nazi period. From here the Reich Leadership of the NSDAP controlled the wide-ranging Party organisation in the whole country.

In 1933 the architect Paul Ludwig Troost was commissioned to design two monumental representative buildings: the 'Führer building' and the 'Administrative building of the NSDAP‘ and two 'Tempels of Honour‘ for the dead of 9 November 1923. Hitler and his staff used the 'Führer building' and the central files of the some eight million NSDAP Party members were kept in the 'Administrative building'.

In the night from 29 to 30 September 1938 England, France, Germany and Italy signed the so-called Munich Agreement in the 'Führer building' in Arcisstraße: Czechoslovakia had to cede Sudetenland to the German Reich without having any say in the matter. The Agreement is viewed as the climax of the failure of the "appeasement" policy.

See also

Munich and National Socialism

Our catalogue of the permanent exhibition