Deutsch
English
schwarz-weiss Version
Farb-Version
A A A
Download Our Smartphone-App

Smartphone-App

Königsplatz as the Party forum

Aerial photo Königsplatz and environment, 1937 (Photo: Repro)

Since its creation in the 19th century Königsplatz had been used time and again for public and political gatherings. During the Nazi era the classicist ensemble at Königsplatz was transformed into a central cult venue and forum of the National Socialist Party in Munich.

In 1933 the buildings on the west side were demolished, these included Palais Pringsheim, the residence of Thomas Mann's parents-in-law. In the same year the construction of two so-called Temples of Honour began and two monumental Party buildings based on the designs of Troost: to the north of Brienner Straße the 'Führer building', the new representative building, and to the south the 'Administrative Building of the NSDAP‘, the seat of the Party's member and financial management. The square itself was covered with granite slabs and kept free of traffic.

On 10 May 1933 right-wing radical students burnt 'un-German' books and writings at Königsplatz. It was used as 'Party forum' for parades and memorial events until the war years. The two 'Temples of Honour' formed the centre of a ritualised cult around the failed putsch of 1923. The sarcophagi of the 16 martyrs killed in their 'march on the Feldherrnhalle' were housed here.

See also

Munich and National Socialism

Our catalogue of the permanent exhibition